Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of cells that attack the surrounding tissue. Oral cancer includes cancers in the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and throat. If not diagnosed and treated early, oral cancer can be life threatening. The symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Swellings, bumps or rough spots on the lips, gums or inside the mouth
- Red, white or specked patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Numbness in the face, mouth or neck
- Sores in the face, neck or mouth that do not go away
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat
- A change in your bite
One of the many benefits of coming to Northpointe Dental for your comprehensive cleanings and exams is that we screen for oral cancer in Zanesville, Ohio. During oral cancer screenings, Dr. Brian J. Waggle uses VELscope®, an innovative technology that helps us better detect any oral abnormalities, such as oral cancer. The VELscope® has many benefits, including:
- Speed – the exam lasts about two minutes
- No rinses or stains
The VELscope exam takes just two minutes of your time, but it can make all the difference in your life. If we find any questionable areas during the exam, we will send you to an oral surgeon to biopsy the questionable area. Please call 740-454-6644 or visit us today for more information on the VELscope oral cancer screening, or to schedule your appointment with our dentist.
Click here to visit the Joan Biesi Foundation website.